Skip to main content

Being a Wife - Who Chooses Submission

I find the 'women being submissive to men' thing very odd.  It seems a very human thing to try to put limits on what God can do and who He can do things through. Are we really saying that the presence of ovaries means that God won't use a particular person to do his bidding? God doesn't limit us, it seems wrong that we should seek to do it to one another. Am I wrong?”

This was the opening statement in a conversation I had with a woman who was expressing her opinions about submission.  She had read my previous blog post about this subject and was troubled by it.  Our conversation progressed into what I perceive to be a conversation that most women would have these days. 

“This is a common question and a concept that is often abused by men who don't understand it!” I said.

She replied with valid points, “It's an interesting one, I agree. I was worried after writing that I'd appeared rude - I hope not! Anyway, I've discussed this at length with my husband.  He married me because he wanted a partner, someone to go through life together with. He didn't want to bear the responsibility or carry the load alone, which is what this 'submission' idea seems to advocate. At the airport we have a suitcase each and our daughter carries the cabin baggage! There are times when he takes a decision and I submit (his job taking us away from friends and family to a new town for example - I didn't want to, but in that case I submitted to what he wanted) and there are other times when I feel that something is right and he will bend, adapt (the word 'submit' is such a passive one, I don't want to apply it to my husband!) to enable me to do what I need to (adapting his work to facilitate my promotion, for example). We have different strengths, and at different times we compromise for one another. That's what the teamwork of marriage is about. We do it together - we give and take. We don't submit and we don't dominate. I'm not saying our way is right for every couple, but I think the idea of BOTH partners submitting to the marriage, rather than the wife submitting to the husband, is the key.”

Valid points but I continued to keep the debate alive to hear more about her views.

“I agree with everything you have said! We are partners in life. One thing is true though, a man desperately needs to feel respected. Submission is simply a way of showing respect don't you think? To me submission means mostly not being argumentative but to actually listen to my husband - something I am not very good at! It sounds like you have a wonderful and balanced marriage which is why this conversation probably isn't necessary for you, but some marriages could seriously do with a bit of submission. It's horrible to see how some women treat their husbands and make them look small. That is probably where a bit of submission could do wonders.”

She replied with, “I agree - but loud obnoxious bullying men are pretty grim too! It just interests me, this whole 'woman's place' thing. It used to cause me huge problems with the church. Why was I to submit? Why did a Y chromosome make a man responsible for me? Why was his opinion more important than mine? I worry less now, because we've worked out a position that works for us, but I'm still uncomfortable with the "have penis, will dominate" angle!”

Things were getting heated but it was good to be getting to the bottom of it. I continued with the conversation.

“It's not so much 'will dominate' as much as will protect and be stronger, more logical, less emotional, etc. The Y chromosome definitely uses a different part of the brain, I recently read about the science behind how our brain develops - fascinating - I am sure you already know it as you are a science teacher and could probably teach me a thing or two about chromosomes.
We are both equal but one is designed to fulfil a certain role and the other a different role, based on our differences in both brain and body development. It's simply different not one better than the other. 
Doesn't it make sense that if we, man and woman, are built differently both in brain and body, that we are intended for different purposes in a relationship and that being equal in every aspect would limit us tremendously?”

“I agree about the differences, and that therefore trying to be the same as each other is pointless. However, I still don't think it’s right to determine a role in a relationship based on any one aspect.  As for the Corinthians letter, I think Paul was writing at a specific time, to a particular church which was having a specific problem - I'm wary of extrapolating the advice he gave in that situation to personal relationships 2000 years later. I think the key point is the one I made earlier - BOTH partners need to submit to the relationship. Once we all learn to think about the good of our families and our marriages before our own desires we will be building happier homes and societies.”

Interesting don’t you think? It would be so easy for us to debate our way into equal rights and we could comfortably justify that we should not submit in the way we think we should. We could talk our way out of just about anything in the Bible but the fact remains that a woman is to submit to her husband by her own free will. She has to choose to submit to him. I don’t feel like less of a woman because I am a submissive wife. Actually, it’s quite the contrary, I feel like more of a woman because I chose to submit. I feel freer and more beautiful.  What are your thoughts on this subject?

Find out more about Being a Wife here or about hosting your own Girl's Night here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo