Skip to main content

Saved by grace, a new creation, on purpose for a purpose. I am free with a future and a hope!

Angela De Souza 2021

I've considered deleting this blog many times but can't seem to let it go for some reason. Perhaps because it contains such an important part of my life and I'm hoping that somehow my 'scribblings' can inspire and help others going through some of the things I've been through. So, I continue to hold onto it for a little longer.

Tonight, 31st December 2021, I reflect on not only the year that has passed but the many years before that too. I love to look back and reflect before plotting the way forwards into a new year. So I've pulled out all my journals and as I flip through the pages I am in awe of how far I have come. 

Only today I found myself chatting with Jordan about the importance of not comparing ourselves with others but without past self, and as I look back I am amazed and how far I have come. I can't help but go back to that day. The day that I hit rock bottom. I had been a Christian for 10 years at that point and yet still found myself on the floor with a razor blade in my hand trying to end my life. I had made such a mess of it all and had no hope or reason to live. That was Christmas time 2001, 20 years ago! 

Imagine in I had succeeded, these past 20 years would not have happened. It's a sobering thought.

I always say that I was born again in 1991 but saved in 2001. For most Christians, it's the same date but I am a bit stubborn and it took God 10 years to make a point. The difference is that for the first 10 years of my Christian journey I tried so hard to be a good person and to be a good Christian, I desperately wanted to please God and be accepted by all, but I kept messing up. For 10 years I tried my absolute best but proved that I couldn't break free from who I really was. My human nature kept pulling me back into my usual destructive cycle. 

Saved by grace

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

The Bible is clear, we can't be saved from our own works, no matter how hard we try. Salvation is a gift. On that night, as I tried to take my life, I didn't respond to a preacher in church inviting me to be saved, I didn't pray a special prayer to be saved, I didn't go through a religious ceremony to be saved, I cried out to God and asked for help. I told him how I couldn't do it anymore, I didn't know how to live. I didn't really want to die but could see no other option. It's a long story and I don't want to retell it yet again, you can read about it in my book Hope's Journey. The point is that I was saved. Truly saved. After 10 years of trying things my way I finally tried God's way and all it took was a humbled cry for help to kickstart the process. 

A new creation

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" - 2 Corinthians 5:17

I am a business speaker, I love to talk to groups big and small and inspire them in business and personal growth. Something I often say is that there is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme, an overnight success takes about 20 years

The same is true of becoming a new creation. Being saved and allowing God to work in my life didn't mean that He waved a magic wand and I became a new creation! It meant 20 years of obediently listening to his guidance and responding to His loving discipline. It's taken me 20 years to go from a worm wallowing in my sin to the beautiful butterfly I have grown into. I can say this because I know it's not pride, I can say this because there is no way I could have done this myself, the first 10 years of my Christian walk have proven that. I am God's handiwork.

On purpose for a purpose

"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." - Ephesians 2:10

As I page through my journals and reflect on the past 20 years I am filled with gratitude. So much gratitude. I am not who I once was and I will continue to be made new. I now have an amazing life and a future to look forward to. I am not saying this because my life is rosy without any problems. In fact, this year of 2021 has been the worst year of my life. Perhaps one day I will be able to write about it but it's too painful to share at the moment. I am not exaggerating in any way, it truly has been heartwrenchingly horrible and the problems I am suffering will continue into next year. The Bible does say that "in this world you will have trouble" but it also says that "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." and it's this peace that I hold onto knowing that "all things God work together for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

I am free

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. But we all... are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory" - 2 Corinthians 3:17-18

I wrote a book called Free in 2011, I'm not sure if it's any good I might have to revise it at some point, but I honestly felt back then that I was finally free from so much that had ensnared me in the past. Looking back I am amazed, if I felt free then how can I articulate how I feel now as it's freer than free. I guess that's what the Bible means when it says we are being transformed from one degree of glory to the next and  if the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.

A future and a hope

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

And so as I reflect to set myself up for a new year I am reminded of one of my favourite verses when I was first born again in 1991, Jeremiah 29:11. Back then I believed it but after what I have been through for the last 30 years, the ups and downs, the good times and the bad times, I can see that this has always been true. That He has been working in me every single day of my life to bring me to this point and that there has always been a plan. I have been saved by grace on purpose for a purpose and I can't wait to see what the next year holds and how His plan continues to unfold in my life. 

No matter what the future brings I am saved by grace, a new creation, on purpose for a purpose. I am free with a future and a hope! 

Happy New Year!

I would love to hear your reflections on this past year, on life and anything you would like to share too. Leave me a comment below.


Love

P.S. Don't miss a post, subscribe by email

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t