Skip to main content

Life Happens - Christians and Depression

Continuing on from my previous post, I wanted to talk about the Christian view of depression.  You see, very recently I faced complete burnout and ended up going to the doctor only to discover that I was on the high end of the depression scale.  It never occurred to me that I was depressed or burnt out because I have lived a balanced life and followed all of the steps I wrote about in my book Hope's Journey. It did not even cross my mind that the series of difficult situations that I have faced over the past two year had actually worn me down!  I am a survivor - I just get on with things.

Thank goodness for a good Christian friend who had the boldness to confront me and encourage me to see my doctor. She recognised the symptoms as she too suffers with depression but she also understood that as Christians, admitting to depression is the hardest thing.

So why do I keep mentioning Christians, what makes it different for a Christian?  Well, first of all we are always told how the 'joy of the Lord is our strength' and how we can 'do all things through Christ who strengthens us', etc.  We are taught that 'nothing is impossible with God' and that we don't have to suffer with sickness and disease because we have a God that heals us.  I believe all these things to be true, I really do.  But because of all these wonderful promises that we have as Christians, those of us who suffer with illness are often looked down upon. Not always, but often.  In some circles even a common cold would indicate a lack of faith or sin!  That is only in extreme cases though. When it comes to mental illnesses and depression it is often assumed to be something even worse or demonic.  Again, there are cases when this is true but mostly it's not the case.  With all this pressure and assumption in the church it makes it worse for a Christian at times.  Too many Christians suffer in silence at church with things such as depression.  There is a great deal of shame for us and even a feeling of failure.  We feel like we did something wrong or didn't have enough faith. I want to put an end to this as it's difficult enough coping with depression or illness of any sort without having shame and judgement to deal with too.

Does God heal physical and mental illness?  Yes.  In fact Jesus died on the cross to release this healing power to us.  Do some people not get healed?  Yes.  I have no idea why or how it works but there can be many reasons.  Do I still trust God for healing?  Absolutely.  However let me tell you my story. When the doctor recommended antidepressants I felt a great sense of relief. Firstly I was labeled and that actually made things better.  It made it better  because what I was dealing with became clear and also it made me feel less bad as a person.  Before I was labeled I thought all my crying and shouting at the kids and general grumpiness was simply me being a really terrible person. When he told me I was depressed I realised that it wasn't me, it was an external problem, which did not affect my identity.

Secondly, I felt relieved at the thought of going on antidepressants, even though I had spoken so harshly against them in times past.  I was relieved because I finally felt like I was getting some help, that I could take a break from the constant struggle and just relax and let the little pills do the work for me.  Sounds ridiculous I know!  But that is how I felt and that is exactly what has happened.  At first the pills made me a little nauseas and headachy, but after a week I started to feel lighter and cried much less. It seems that what I hoped for actually happened - the pills did do the work not me!  After about 20 years of working hard at managing depression I finally gave in a took a break.

I am not suggesting everyone run out and get antidepressants if they are a little sad.  I recommend reading Hope's Journey and finding the balance in your life. Hope's Journey is a great little book for prevention and cure as well as for supporting others through depression.  My case was beyond Hope's Journey.  I have had about two years of intense struggles of different sorts, one after the other.  I have had to grieve, deal with loss, cope with my son's diabetes diagnosis and various other struggles that I have not spoken about publicly.  As soon as I felt I was coping with one issue another major things would come up.  I coped as best I could and moved on. During the struggles I started a business which took off instantly and also continued to lead our church through some very rough waters with my husband.  The result was that I coped and continued to cope and never got to come up for air.  This resulted in depression.

Is it my fault?  No.  Did I do something wrong? No.  Life just happened.  Will God heal me?  Yes.  He will either stretch out his mighty hand and touch me or he will use the antidepressants.  Right now I don't mind which was as long as I feel better.

What I did to encourage myself and stop feeling guilty about my situation was that I reminded myself that some of the great Christian leaders of our time have also suffered with depression.  Steven Furtick and Perry Noble have openly shared their journey - and for that I am so grateful as they have made it less of a taboo subject in the church today.  Even Elijah - the great prophet of the Bible had to deal with depression as well as many others.  My motivation for sharing my struggle with you is to continue the fight against the mindset that people have about depression, especially in churches.  Please share to encourage others and to stop the condemning lies from spreading.  Let's increase our faith and be a church or power where we see regular healing but at the same time let's not make people feel small on our journey to see God move in divine power.  Life happens.  We can't understand it all but let's do a good job with what we can understand.

Read the next post:

Depression is Not An Excuse

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo